I know I know it’s supposedly Spring but today’s weather is crappy and you never know when a Summer cold will strike. A good chicken soup recipe is something that everyone should have in their recipe arsenal. It is very simple to make and freezes beautifully so there is no reason to have to buy it in a can. And everyone has their own little twist on this classic recipe (mine is a 1/2 of a peeled apple-it adds a creaminess to the soup). While this recipe isn’t for my classic Chicken Soup, I thought my take on a Mexican Chicken Soup would instantly become one of your family favorites. The garnishes are such a thrill! Kids will love the toppings for this soup. Put out tiny bowls filled with the avocado, popcorn and corn chips and let your kids go to town and build their own soup! Enjoy!
Fiesta Mexican Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut up, skin removed
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced (optional)
- 1 box chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ c chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced (for garnish)
- popcorn or corn chips or corn nuts for topping soup
- 2 limes cut into wedges (for finishing soup)
1.In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add chicken to the pot and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Add in onion, garlic, celery and carrots.
2. Add chicken stock, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce soup to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes. Skim off any foam or extra fat that rises to the top and discard.
3. Stir in cilantro at the last minute (this keeps the herb bright and fresh tasting)Right before serving, top each soup with diced avocado, popcorn or corn chips and a squirt of lime.